100 things you can't move house without

I think that anybody who has moved away from home and got themselves their own place would agree with me: you have no idea how much you have taken the "little things" for granted whilst living with your parents. You know that toilet roll does actually run out? (Always at the most particularly inconvenient time also). You know that someone actually buys the 'scrubby things' that you wash dishes with? You know that in order to grate cheese, you will need to buy a cheese grater?

Well, what I have done, with the help of some friends. Is I have come up with a list of items that you will need to buy when moving in to your first home. Albeit that you may have been to university and lived in student accommodation- chances are, that puts you slightly higher up the list, but you still didn't have to buy everything.

So, I'm going to give you all the benefit of the doubt, and presume you are aware that you will need:
a bed
a washing machine
a stove/oven
a shower/bath

So I decided that there are some really obvious items on this list, that people will think, oh durr!! We don't need to be reminded for that, but let me just tell you- it's often those said really obvious items that get totally forgotten about! So with that in mind, let's talk Kitchens...

Kitchen Ultimate Essentials

  • Fridge
  • Freezer
  • Kettle
  • Cutlery
  • Chopping knives
  • Knife block
  • Chopping board
  • Bottle opener
  • Tin opener
  • Roasting tin
  • Pots and pans 
  • Wooden spoons
  • Silicone Spatula
  • Tongs
  • Washing up rack
  • Washing up liquid
  • Cutlery drawer organiser
  • Cheese grater
  • Sieve
  • Colander 
  • Utensils pot
  • Tupperware
  • Microwave
  • Whisk
  • Bin
  • Tea towels
  • Dish cloths
  • Scrubby cloths
  • Handheld blender

Kitchen Extras

  • Cupcake tin
  • Wall clock
  • Egg timer
  • Egg cups
  • Shot glasses
  • Ice cube tray
  • Skewers/cocktail sticks
  • Electric whisk
  • Weighing scales
  • Fruit bowl
  • Herb plants
  • Fridge magnets
  • Tea pot
  • Tea/Sugar/Coffee pots
  • Coffee machine



Living Room Essentials

  • Sofa
  • Coffee table
  • Fairy lights
  • Lamp(s)
  • Candles
  • TV
  • TV stand
  • Rug
  • Blankets
  • Cushions
  • Bookcase
  • TV package
  • Plants
  • Paintings for wall
  • Photo frames
  • Coasters 
  • Sound system and speakers
  • Table mats

Bathroom Essentials

Bath, toilet etc
  • Mirror
  • Soap dish
  • Toothbrush holder
  • Shower curtain (pretty)
  • Toilet brush
  • Toilet paper holder
  • "Put me down" toilet sticker
  • Towel rack
  • Towels
    • Floor
    • Face
    • Body
  • Small cupboard
  • Medicine cupboard
    • Plasters
    • Painkillers
    • Allergy tablets
  • Shower shelves
  • Weighing scales



Bedroom Essentials

  • Fairylights
  • Laundry bag
  • Candles
  • Lamp
  • Beautiful bedding
  • Mirror
  • Bedside table
  • Wardrobe
  • Coat hangers
  • Dressing table
  • Pictures and photos
  • Alarm clock

Rest of house/Utility Essentials

  • Extension lead (multiple)
  • Clothes horse
  • Clothes washing detergent
  • Clothes softening conditioner
  • Cleaning products
    • Bleach
    • Bathroom cleaner
    • Kitchen all purpose sanitiser
    • Drain unblocker
    • Mirror/window spray
    • Oven cleaner
  • Dust pan and brush
  • Mop and bucket
  • Plunger
  • Hoover
  • Hoover bags
  • Bin bags
  • Iron
  • Ironing board
  • Torch
  • Light bulbs
  • Screwdriver
  • Pens
  • Paper
  • Hot water bottle
  • Full length mirror
  • An 'important things' box
  • Internet
  • Secret stash of chocolate
  • Doormat
  • Shoe rack (in cupboard preferably)
  • Coat hangers (over the door ones if necessary)
So, that's about all I got in my list... did I miss anything that you consider to be an essential item?
Just incase anyone might actually find this list helpful, I have made a PDF version of the list which can be printed off. However I have absolutely no idea how to put a link to it, so er, let me know and I can email it to you :D

Oh, and, look out for my next post, which is following in the footsteps of this one.

Fridge/Kitchen cupboard essentials

Perfect for when you have moved in to your new home... because all that moving is bound to make you hungry!

Jessie xx

2 comments:

  1. Saving this post! I am currently in the process of selling/donating all of my possessions before I move to California, so it's good to have a list of what I'm going to need when I get out there!

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookmarked this post for when I move!

    NEW POST Jennos Health.

    ReplyDelete

I would love it if you left me a little message...